Chanting and Mantra
Man means mind, and tra means to move through or beyond. Therefore mantra means to move through or beyond the mind.
Benefits and uses of mantra and chanting:
- Realization and knowing of truth: Because the truth embodied in the sound and content of the chant or mantra is understood by our Heart/Soul
- Chanting is like a special pranayama because when we chant we’re taking a deep inhalation and our exhalation is long slow and controlled
- Purification for our whole being and consciousness. Specific mantras and chants purify, harmonize and balance the chakras and susumna, etc.
- Cultivates concentration
- Prepares us for meditation: Stills and quiets chitta, cultivates Pratyahara, Dharana and Dhyana
- It’s fun and makes you feel good and happy to sing
- You can do it anytime, the more you chant the more benefit you get